Thanks for joining me today as we continue our series examining and responding to Catholic apologist and philosopher, Peter Kreeft’s book, “Forty Reasons I Am A Catholic” (2018).
Claim #10: I am a Catholic because only the Catholic church can save human civilization from spiritual and material destruction
In this very short chapter, Kreeft makes several lofty claims for the Roman Catholic church:
- The RCC is the only concrete thing in history, besides the Jews, that will still be here when Jesus returns. The Groom will return for his bride, the RCC, rather than for a Protestant “harem of 20,000 denominations.”
- “The Catholic church is the greatest repository and synthesis of the wisdom of the past, and the only long-range hope for the future, of humane human civilization” (p. 37).
- The Catholic church is immortal.
- “The Catholic Church is the only thing in the world that wins even when she loses; the blood of the martyrs, shed in every age and most copiously in our own, is the seed that grows the most glorious fruits of the future Church.”
- Jesus promised the gates of hell would not prevail against the Catholic church.
- Yes, the Roman Catholic church will still be in existence when Jesus returns, but not in the capacity that Kreeft imagines. It’s not surprising that Satan created a counterfeit “church” that has existed for 1500 years. While it’s not “religiously-correct” to say it these days, the Reformers unabashedly identified “Babylon the great, the mother of prostitutes” of Revelation 17 as the Roman Catholic church.
- The Roman Catholic church is the repository, not of wisdom, but of countless fables, superstitions, and spurious “sacred traditions” that supplant God’s Word. The history of the RCC is filled with “inhumane” policies and actions, e.g., the Crusades, the Inquisition, systematic anti-Semitism, persecution of Protestants. etc. The RCC’s false gospel of salvation by sacramental grace and merit has sent billions of credulous followers to hell.
- The Catholic church’s long reign as Satan’s counterfeit church will come to an end when Jesus Christ returns.
- The RCC fraudulently claims the martyrs of the early church as its own. The historic Roman church persecuted and martyred millions of born-again Protestant believers who would not bow to the Jesus wafer.
- Catholic apologists like Kreeft love to present Matthew 16:18, “…the gates of hell shall not prevail against it,” as a proof-text for the authenticity and perseverance of the Roman church. Much of RC church history has clearly demonstrated that it is affiliated with the gates of hell rather than being the church of Jesus Christ mentioned in Matthew 16:18. The true church of genuine born-again believers has persevered despite the determined and bloody persecutions orchestrated by the Roman Catholic church.
Next week: Claim #11: I am a Catholic because of the nouns