Christ’s Call to Reform the Church
By John MacArthur
Moody Publishers, 2018, 199 pages
If you’ve been a follower of Jesus Christ for a length of time, you’ve probably heard at least one sermon on the Lord’s letters to the seven churches of Asia Minor referred to in Revelation, chapters 2 and 3. Our pastor did a sermon series on the seven churches not all that long ago, so when I first saw publication notices for this book, I wasn’t all that sure about purchasing it, but I’m very glad I did.
Pastor J. Mac examines the the Lord’s letters to each of the churches and provides excellent analysis of what was happening at each fellowship, both the good and the bad. MacArthur then makes applications to Christian churches in our current era. There’s also plenty of life applications for the individual believer. This is a short book, but rich in spiritual exhortation and admonishment. In our current era, when fewer and fewer churches are standing upon God’s Word without compromise, this book is required reading.
- Calling the Church to Repent
- The Lord’s Work in His Church
- The Loveless Church: Ephesus
- The Persecuted Church: Smyrna
- The Compromising Church: Pergamum
- The Corrupt Church: Thyatira
- The Dead Church: Sardis
- The Faithful Church: Philadelphia
- The Lukewarm Church: Laodicea
- The Need for a New Reformation