Ten days after the release of the Pennsylvania grand jury report, which named over 300 priests in that state as predatory sexual abusers of children, Catholic news headlines are still DOMINATED by the story.
- The Pittsburgh Diocese has received about 50 new abuse claims since the grand jury report came out
- Catholic Cardinal Named 15 Times in Child Sex Abuse Report Refuses To Resign
- US Bishop Claims ‘Homosexual Subculture’ Within Catholic Hierarchy Behind ‘Sickening’ Child Sex Abuse
- Catholics remain skeptical after Francis’ apology for abuse
- Patricia Heaton Says No Money to Catholic Church ‘Until Everyone Who Abused or Abetted Is Gone’
- Seminary under pedophilic ex-cardinal rife with secrecy, fear, ex-priest recalls
- Catholic theologians, lay leaders call for mass resignations of US bishops
One need only skim through the headlines for a few minutes to understand that many Catholics are absolutely fed up with their church after this latest pedophile priest tsunami. Sadly, their faith is/was in their religious institution with its false gospel of sacramental grace and merit rather than in Jesus Christ and the Good News! of salvation by God’s grace through faith in Christ alone. We need to reach out to these lost Catholic souls, who feel betrayed by their “alter Christus” priests and bishops, with the Gospel of grace. I’ve been listening to Catholic talk radio this past week, and all of the discussions about this latest chapter in the ongoing scandal started off with something along the lines of, “Oh, what a tragedy. We are praying for the victims, BUT…,” and finishing with various assertions that attempted to minimize the church’s culpability.
Rather than scolding pedophile priests, Max Lucado should be telling Roman Catholics to accept Christ as their Savior by faith alone and come out of Catholicism. Lucado was one of the signers of the Evangelical and Catholics Together (ECT) declarations, which promoted ecumenical unity with Rome and its false gospel of sacramental grace and merit. Shame on Lucado and all the other “evangelical” Judas compromisers. Woe unto them that call evil good.
Ironic. The greatest attack on God’s people over the last fifty years was/is the promotion of the ecumenical compromise with Rome that was spearheaded by Anne Graham Lotz’s own father.