Good News: The Gospel of Jesus Christ
By John MacArthur
Reformation Trust Publishing, 2018, 148 pages
Sometimes it’s helpful to focus on just one aspect of Christian faith, and in this new book, pastor John MacArthur focuses on the Foundation; the Lord, Jesus Christ, His divine attributes and offices, and the Good News! that He offers to sinners.
Below are the chapter headings with a few personal thoughts:
- Jesus is the Messiah – The Jews of 1st century Palestine were eagerly anticipating the coming of the Messiah. How could they have missed Him? They were focused on their temporal circumstances rather than on their spiritual need.
- Jesus is Holy – Jesus offers redemption now, but someday He will return as the Holy Judge. If you think you’re a pretty good person who deserves Heaven, you have not seriously considered the absolute holiness of the Lord. We are all depraved sinners in desperate need of the Savior.
- Jesus is the Only Way – Universalism is creeping into the church and MacArthur is not afraid to name names.
- Jesus is the Redeemer – Christians are commanded to sow the Gospel message of reconciliation with God through faith in Christ alone.
- Jesus is Righteous – We are not. Christ imputes His perfect righteousness to those who trust in Him by faith alone.
- Jesus is the Head of the Church – Christ rules the church, not an institutional hierarchy.
Contemplating the glorious attributes of our Savior and Shepherd presented by MacArthur as he expounds on Scripture is a wonderful way to spend a few hours. I enjoyed this short, back-to-the-Foundation book very much. New and “seasoned” Christians will be blessed by it. Order from Amazon here.