I know of a young pastor who must think he looks pretty good in his skinny jeans in front of the congregation on Sunday morning. Here’s some advice. No matter where you stand on the dress code for church, skin-tight skinny jeans on the pastor just aren’t appropriate.
Like many Catholics who try to justify their copious religious statues, Endres points to the bronze serpent and the two cherubim over the mercy seat of the ark of the covenant in the Old Testament as graven images allowed by God. But only the high priest beheld the cherubim in the Holy of Holies and he certainly didn’t worship them. God ordained that the bronze serpent be created for a specific purpose as the cursed object that was lifted up for healing, foreshadowing Jesus Christ. It was NOT to be venerated/worshipped. Many generations later, the Israelites began venerating/worshiping the bronze serpent and King Hezekiah had it destroyed. Catholic veneration/worship of statues is idolatry borrowed from Roman paganism. Equivalents cannot be found in God’s Word except among pagans.
Rome teaches a different gospel of salvation by sacramental grace and merit. We need to evangelize Catholics, not embrace them as fellow believers. We don’t do them any favors by blurring the Gospel of grace.
- Despite some tensions, evangelical churches are booming in Cuba
- Pentecostal, Evangelical boom forces African Church to ‘wake up’
“Evangelical” churches are growing in Latin America and Africa but unfortunately many of them are pushing the TBN prosperity gospel and word of faith “name it and claim it.”
Conservative Catholics have nothing good to say about their pragmatic “reformer” pope and hope his tenure ends soon. Silly, backward-thinking traditionalists! Everything Francis has done in the last four years has been aimed at consolidating Rome’s leadership over the ecumenical movement.
In this story a nun impatiently asks, “We are 30 years since the public revelations of this (clerical abuse). Why is it that as the Church of Jesus Christ we have not been able to get at the heart of the matter?” I believe this priest pedophile scandal, the bureaucratic cover-up, and the church’s ongoing inability/reluctance to deal with this snake pit is a Satanic mark upon the RCC.
Lent is supposed to be a penitential time when Catholics are especially encouraged to visit their priest to confess their sins. Catholics are obligated to go to confession at least once per year or they pick up a mortal sin but statistics reveal only 12% of Catholics comply. The other 88% would rather take their chances with eternity than bare their soul to the man in black. When 88% of your membership is not complying with a mandated requirement, the system has become an outright sham.
The sacrament of reconciliation is a man-made tradition. Nowhere in the New Testament can you find someone confessing their sins to a man. I came out of Roman Catholicism and accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. I have no plea of my own. My only plea is the perfect righteousness of my Lord and Savior. When I confess my sins, I go directly to God in prayer. But my Savior, Jesus Christ, died for all my sins, past and future. By faith I am trusting in Him alone to save me.
Speaking of pastors in skinny jeans, what about popular hipster TBN preacher, Steven Furtick? Many would agree Furtick is no Martyn Lloyd-Jones, but they would say at least he’s reaching people who otherwise would never be caught dead in a traditional church setting. But the TBN prosperity/word of faith “gospel” that Furtick is selling doesn’t have a lot in common with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The other night I was checking out TBN and I heard Furtick admonishing his church’s membership to fork over their tithes. How can anyone in their right mind give money to a church which has a $1.7 million parsonage for its pastor? Oh, yeah. It’s because they’re taught that if they get right with God as Furtick has done they also can have a 16,000 sq. ft. mansion.
Believe it or not, Furtick is a Southern Baptist, which is another example of how wide the spectrum of orthodoxy ranges in the SBC. On the one end there are some pretty solid guys in the SBC like Al Mohler, Mark Dever, Paul Washer, and Russell Moore. At the other end you have TBN ecumenists like Furtick, Rick Warren, and Dallas Willard. At the SBC church I attended for one year, the young pastor, fresh out of an SBC seminary, was enamored with Catholic theologians.