Reasoning from the Scriptures with Catholics
By Ron Rhodes
Harvest House Publishers, 2000, 359 pages
Roman Catholics refer to “Jesus the Savior,” “grace,” and “faith” just like evangelicals do, but they interpret those terms differently to say the least.
In this book, evangelical apologist, Ron Rhodes, compares the main teachings of the Catholic religion to the Bible. The author devotes many pages to the most important issue dividing Catholics and evangelicals: how is a person saved? Catholics believe salvation is through sacramental grace and merit while evangelicals proclaim the “Good News” of salvation by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. Unfortunately, many evangelical authors have written books about Catholicism that focus primarily on secondary doctrines. Rhodes doesn’t make that mistake. The author doesn’t provide a lot of historical background so you may want to look elsewhere if that is your interest.
This is a well-written, very easy-to-understand book with plenty of scriptural references. Rhodes has done a nice job. I recommend this book to Roman Catholics who desire to know more about the Gospel of grace and to evangelicals who don’t understand the differences between Catholicism and Biblical Christianity.
Reasoning from the Scriptures with Catholics is available from Amazon. See here.
- Dialoguing with Roman Catholics
- The Apocrypha – Does It Belong in the Bible?
- Sola Scriptura Versus Tradition – Part 1
- Sola Scriptura Versus Tradition – Part 2
- Papal Infallibility and the Teaching Authority of the Church – Part 1
- Papal Infallibility and the Teaching Authority of the Church – Part 2
- Forensic Justification Versus Meritorious Justification – Part 1
- Forensic Justification Versus Meritorious Justification – Part 2
- Forensic Justification Versus Meritorious Justification – Part 3
- Sacramentalism – Part 1
- Sacramentalism – Part 2
- Sin and the Sacrament of Penance
- Purgatory and Indulgences
- The Exaltation of Mary – Part 1
- The Exaltation of Mary – Part 2
- The Exaltation of Mary – Part 3
- The Exaltation of Mary – Part 4
- The Dos and Don’ts of Dialoguing with Catholics
- Appendix A: Infant Salvation
- Appendix B: Ecumenism in the Roman Catholic Church
- Appendix C: The Veneration of Relics
- Appendix D: Understanding Sanctification