The celebration of the “eucharist” is one of the most important rituals of Catholicism. The church teaches that at the mass its ordained priests transform bread wafers and wine into the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ. The priest then offers up the consecrated “host” as a sacrifice to God on behalf of the attendees and any others who are specified. Catholics are taught that physically ingesting the supposedly literal “body and blood” of Jesus cleanses away “venial” sins from their soul and helps them avoid committing “mortal” sins in the future (Catholic Catechism, 1995, paragraphs 1394 and 1395). But the Bible teaches sacrifice for sin ended with Jesus’s sacrifice on the cross and that He is now seated at the right hand of the Father, not upon Catholic altars as a broken victim (Hebrews 10:12).
For Catholics, weekly mass is not a choice. Failure to attend even a single Sunday mass or designated “holy day of obligation” results in “mortal” sin. However, a recent study done in preparation for the pope’s upcoming visit to the U.S. reveals only 24% of Catholic adults attend mass every Sunday. The same study shows only 66% of Catholic parents believe having their child receive first communion is important and only 61% believe it is important to them to have their child confirmed.
Previous studies have shown only 12% of Catholics go to confession once a year, another obligatory sacrament, meaning the other whopping 88% of Catholics are content to casually merit another “mortal” sin.
Things sure have changed. Back in 1965, 55% of Catholic adults attended mass every Sunday. But who can blame Catholics for sleeping in Sunday mornings and avoiding the liturgical *hocus pocus when their pope Francis says even atheists will go the Heaven if they are “good”?
In contrast the Bible says there are none who are “good” enough to earn their way to Heaven but that Jesus will redeem all those who accept Him as their Savior.
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” – Romans 3:23-24.
Thank the Lord for the GOSPEL of salvation by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ ALONE!
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.” – Matthew 11:28-29.
* hocus pocus was derived from “Hoc est corpus meum,” meaning, “This is my body,” the words used by the priest in the old Latin rite to supposedly transform the communion wafer into the body of Christ.